Have you ever told a student that a word is spelled a certain way because English is weird? Do you advise students to spell a word in several different ways and choose the one that looks right? Do you sometimes struggle to find an explanation for the spelling of a word?
In this workshop, Speech & Language Pathologist Dr. Bartek Rajkowski will convince you that written English has an undeserved reputation for being illogical! He will explain why English words are spelled the way they are, and why teaching kids to read and spell requires us to be experts in understanding the relationship between English speech sounds and spelling.
Following this workshop, participants will
- Have an understanding of the various historical influences on written English
- Understand the relationship between the basic building blocks of English spelling: phonemes, graphemes and letters
- Understand the main components of English phonology: consonant phonemes, vowel phonemes and syllables
- Receive an introduction to English spelling rules
- Understand why teachers of English spelling and reading need to be experts in the sounds of speech.