What is Word Builder
Using Word Builder™ to help students understand how to read and spell words is easy once you understand how the app works and why it targets certain important skills! Please take a few minutes to read this quick tutorial which will give you an overview of the purpose of the app as well as its powerful features.
Word Builder™ is designed to help you teach skills shown through decades of research to be crucial in learning to read and spell. It provides students with a fun, intuitive and powerful tool with which to learn about the English language through synthetic phonics. Broadly speaking, Word Builder™ helps you to teach students the following important literacy skills, which we highly recommend you read about before starting to use the app (click the blue text to learn more):
- Graphemic Knowledge (remembering letter-sound relationships)
- Segmentation (breaking words up into individual speech sounds)
- Blending (joining speech sounds together to make words)
- Decoding and Encoding (reading and spelling words using letter-sound relationships)
- Reading and Spelling Sight Words (tricky words such as 'you' and 'said' that have unusual letter-sound relationships)
When you open the wordbuilder app, please tap on the English accent you would like to use by selecting the corresponding flag, then press the 'start' button to begin:
To continue your tour of Word Builder™, please press the button below. If you would like to skip to a section, please press the navigation buttons, above!